Ann’s gift to see the blessings God places before her is a rare and special skill. Yes, I said skill. I believe anyone can rattle off a list of things they are thankful for BUT to be able to acknowledge God is responsible these things and to give Him the credit is an all together different issue. Even in the depths of darkness after my only sister’s kidnapping, I was able to be thankful in my life.
I did not believe God was responsible or even in my life for that matter but I knew there were still some good things happening.
Things I am thankful for this week…
After Heidi’s kidnapping yet before my relationship with Jesus:
- New appreciation for each new day
- Valued each moment I have with my family
- Understood I couldn’t control what happened
- Saw a community come together in amazing ways
- Old friends reunited
- New friendships born
- Time…of the essence and to heal
- Took risks
- Learned to not take life, friends, or family for granted
- For my family and friends who loved me at my UGLIEST
- Thankful God never left me, even though I left Him
- The song I learned in VBS as a child is true – Jesus Loves Me, this I know
- For the continued support of friends and family
- New friendships
- Restored friendships
- New opportunities
- Doors that open and close with Jesus as the doorman
- This is not meant as disrespect, I apologize in advance if anyone is offended at the thought of Jesus as the bellhop yet if you think about it, HE is the one who decides what doors will open in front of us and closes the doors we shouldn’t go through, right?)
- Hope and healing through the friendship and relationship I have with Jesus
- KNOW Who is responsible for tomorrow and thank HIM for each new day
- I am who I am, have what I have, and am surrounded by the people I am because God chose each for me. Thank you Jesus!
Remember I told you there has been a lot of writing happening here, just not for the blog? Well, I decided to enter a rather prestigious writing contest and the deadline was today. Instead of penning thousands of words for here, I worked to perfect less than 2,000 words for this opportunity.
An editor I met at the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers’ Conference last year suggested I submit something to this contest. As a friend from church saw this same writing contest in her magazine she said, “Lisa should enter this.” And brought it with her to church the following Sunday. I love these God nudges, don’t you?
I may not “win” the contest per say yet I have won because there is so much to be thankful in the preparation to enter.
- An editor thought enough of me and my writing to suggest I enter
- God nudged a friend to “remind” me to enter
- With prayer, God provided a few different venues
- With more prayer, God highlighted the one to complete
- In sharing my submission goals, one special lady and dear friend spent the latter part of last week and through the weekend via email and FB messages to edit, critique, review, and pray with and for me
- My writers’ groups hearts to listen and pray
- The silence in the room after my entry was read aloud followed by a whispered “Wow”
- A Facebook later the same evening from someone at group to say my writing was “explosive”
- Conversations with family and friends as a result of this writing
- Opportunities to share my testimony with some who may never had asked
- More healing…
- Tears hidden while a friend read my writing aloud – it always amazes me to hear the difference in a read aloud when it isn’t my voice reading
- Prayers…from start to finish
- Hope to share Heidi and my story with people across the country
- Hope to possibly be one of the twelve to win an all expense paid trip across the country to improve my craft and be the best writer I can be…for Him
Do you know God is responsible for the blessings in your life? Post 1 thing you are thankful God did in your life today?